PDA

View Full Version : Character Development

Redmercy
11th July 2015, 04:35 PM
In-Game Name: Pett_Petterson
Date: 11/07/2015
Your Question:
I see "Character Development" on roleplay logs like Ruis or w/e. What does character development means and how to do develop a character?

Kurt
11th July 2015, 04:50 PM
Character Development either refers to the actual sitting down and creation of the character, or a change in a story that a character undergoes that develops (changes) the character.

In the case of characters on SARP, it would likely refer to the latter. Basically role-play that influences your character and causes them to change (for example, let's say you are a legal citizen-like character. If someone forces you to kill someone, your character could develop guilt and go into a depression of sorts).

EDIT: A lot of people do not focus on character develop, which is why you see people in LSPD, but later see the same person in a gang then in the medical department. Character development is a large factor for anyone who wants to consider serious role-play.

King Hazard
11th July 2015, 04:53 PM
It just shows how you build yourself icly. Showed something like, how you move from a grove gang banger to someone who leads an elite mafia.

It's like in real life, you go to school ( learning process on sarp, and building connections ). Then after you're finished with school, you go work for experience or you open a business ( Move on to better things either being the leader or working alongside someone ). After sometime you'd then become an experienced veteran in the industry that would be looked upon by many ( Players look up to you and come to you because you got it together and became a successful roleplayer ) . The story could go on but I guess you catch my drift.

Elijah van Meijer
11th July 2015, 07:14 PM
Characted Development is slowly developing or building your character, his personality, his traits, his skills, etc.

You can't just instantly be a great shooter and be super strong and not scared of anything, you have to develop those skills over time through other things.

For example, your character could enlist in the military and join SANG. He could then develop skills with firearms. He then resigns from the National Guard and proceeds to enlist in the LSPD academy to become a police officer. He joins the department, steadily grows his traits and ends up in a high command rank.

But if you leave the LSPD, join a gang, commit crimes and be a gangster, then join LSPD again, that would be unrealistic. That is not good character development.

You must choose to either be legal or illegal. You can be illegal and then legal or vice versa but you can't be illegal, legal, illegal, legal, illegal, legal, illegal, legal and so on. You need to be consistent with your character.

Everything you do will count towards your character development.

You can't join LSPD, then SANG, then LSPD again, then SANews, then LSFMD, then FBI, that's just jumping all over the place - no one would jump from a law enforcement field into the entertainment industry and become a news reporter and then a medic and then a federal agent. That is non-RP/unrealistic.

If you want to roleplay as a gangster but you have an extensive LEO back ground, you have 2 options:
A) Character Kill, meaning your current character will die and you will start fresh, all his money and other belongings will be removed except for your level.

B) Pretend that your current character is going away to another country, change your name, etc, and roleplay being a different person.

Sam Gideon
11th July 2015, 08:09 PM
Character development can refer to the task of sitting down and creating a character for SARP for example(developping out their appearance, history, and so on), or it can be to the change a character undergoes during the course of a story.

In the first instance, the idea is to create a fictional person, complete with character, history, hopes, fears, someone that is often even more real than people you meet in real life. This is a person you will use in your story, It's like you getting to know someone so well that you know absolutely everything about them. Just how much you need to know depends on how important the character is to the story, but generally speaking, the more you know about the character, the better able you'll be able to write about them in relation to your story.

In the second instance, character development describes the change an individual undergoes through the course of a story as a result of the conflict that person encounters .After you developped your own character, you can use it in SARP and roleplay with the development/ story that you made as background.

Hope this answered your question along with the other comments.

Franco.
11th July 2015, 09:59 PM
It's designing your character's tender, like for an exhibit, Tony Vercetti a man who came to smuggle some credits for his cousin who was his main foe, and he had to follow an adventure in order to reach and know his true face. It takes at least a year for a new roleplayer to design a good biased character. Even at first I didn't know how to design a good one but with the help of Kane and Melvin, I improved to become a heavy medium roleplayer in which I'm trying to develop more for heaviness. You have to give a backstory and a description for your character, like: (Hobbies, tender, car type, hierarchy and such of that). It's like designing an action movie within some events (Roleplay). If you need help ask any roleplay veteran, even if you want to ask me I can help.

Donbot™
13th July 2015, 10:01 AM
it means fantasying your character to do shit which is a symptom of autism

Keven Ruthless
14th July 2015, 12:27 PM
Awaiting player - 12 hours.

Redmercy
15th July 2015, 02:54 AM
Answered.