PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking help for Phelps

Agent Cole Phelps
7th November 2016, 03:53 PM
Alright, so I don't like to normally ask for assistance, but I'm sort of in a pickle at the moment. Maybe someone with more experience behind them on Overclocking can assist me.

At the moment, I'm running a intel i7 6700k Skylake, on a Asus z170-delux motherboard. Recently, I reflashed my bios which basically reset all my existing settings I had. Now to get a really good stable overclock, you normally test it with multiple different Benchmark tools, and change all the settings multiple times, but I got no time for that.

Asus Motherboards are in my opinion, the best motherboards on the market, and the make a really nice GUI bios (easy to use is a different story).

So basically, I'm currently running my CPU at Offset + 1.3 volts, with all cores at radio Auto. I get about

Please don't just send links to websites, because trust me, I've pretty much have visited them all. If you have information, suggestions, or personal experience, that would all be much appreciated.

Luke Shiels
7th November 2016, 04:09 PM
delete win32

Kappa

Makorox
7th November 2016, 04:27 PM
right click your video card and press eject.

Agent Cole Phelps
7th November 2016, 04:53 PM
As requested by both top users, good reputation has been given.

Lord Virus
7th November 2016, 05:01 PM
U need intel i8...

Luke Shiels
7th November 2016, 05:08 PM
As requested by both top users, good reputation has been given.

lighten up m8

Agent Cole Phelps
7th November 2016, 05:10 PM
lighten up m8

I would if this wasn't my computer, but issue is that it's my PC, and I have to deal with it the way it is, which is all fucked up and shit.

Wickins
7th November 2016, 06:39 PM
What exactly do you need help with? I run a i5 4690k on a Z97 motherboard and I achieve a stable 4.6 GHz with my bios sorting out the voltage automatically for me. If you want to see if your overclock is stable, you should download a program called Prime95, it's very quick and simple to use. This program stress tests your CPU by ensuring all cores are running at 100 percent usage. This will allow you to determine if you get stable temperatures or not.

CPU temperatures should be kept lower than GPU temperatures. I'd say 75 degrees (167 Fahrenheit) is the maximum before any damage starts to take place such as shortening the life-span of the CPU but I've seen some CPU's go up to 100 degrees centigrade (212 fahrenheit) without any damage dealt to them.

If you are taking this overclocking seriously, you should definitely get an aftermarket cooler. I use the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and this keeps my CPU nice and cool. Liquid cooling is always preferred but air will do just fine. For a decrease in temperature, I also use an aftermarket thermal paste such as the Arctic Silver 5 which keeps my CPU a few degrees lower.

Overall, I don't take CPU overclocking seriously as I do with my GPU. You will only get real performance gains with CPU intensive games such as ARMA 3. Overclocking your GPU is where the real FPS comes from and I use programs such as MSI Afterburner for that.
Enjoy your dank PC.

Agent Cole Phelps
8th November 2016, 01:56 PM
I lost the silicon lottery (google it if you don't know what that means), and I'd have to push well over 1.35volts (intel skylake is recommend for nothing over 1.35volts) to achieve anything above 4.2ghz.

I already have Prime95 though, and my CPU is watercooled, so I'm not really caring much about CPU temperature. I'm curious though, how many volts are you pushing to your CPU to get 4.6ghz?

Agent Cole Phelps
9th November 2016, 04:35 PM
I decided to just turn off Overclocking, and set at stock.

Callum
9th November 2016, 04:47 PM
I decided to just turn off Overclocking, and set at stock.

Still want this open?

Edward
10th November 2016, 09:15 PM
you must be extremely desperate if you're asking people on SARP for computer advice.

Wickins
13th November 2016, 12:39 PM
I lost the silicon lottery (google it if you don't know what that means), and I'd have to push well over 1.35volts (intel skylake is recommend for nothing over 1.35volts) to achieve anything above 4.2ghz.

I already have Prime95 though, and my CPU is watercooled, so I'm not really caring much about CPU temperature. I'm curious though, how many volts are you pushing to your CPU to get 4.6ghz?

Silicon Lottery only applies to a GPU though. Honestly, you won't see much benefits overclocking your CPU.

Arteaga
14th November 2016, 07:57 PM
Still want this open?

Pending poster, 24 hours.

OG Malkoi
15th November 2016, 09:21 AM
Just use the Asus suite meant for your system board to activate the intelligence system on your system board. It should have the option to to automatically Overclock your CPU, RAM, and etc as it is needed. Also, it will not do it to the point that you turn anything into a coaster or paper weight.

Jendry
16th November 2016, 12:13 PM
Pending poster, 24 hours.

Answered. PM/VM any section moderator if you wish this to be opened again.