PDA

View Full Version : Extending & Improving Your Roleplay

Dirk
2nd November 2013, 07:19 PM
Extending your roleplay

In order to reach higher standards of roleplay, extending roleplay is the way to do it - if you extend your roleplay and go into further detail then it looks a whole lot better, for example

Dirk VanReeth opens the door
Dirk VanReeth extends his right arm forwards as he clenches onto the door handle - pulling the handle down as he would then pull the door towards him, opening the door.

Making further use of /do also makes roleplay look ten times better, as follows;
Dirk VanReeth extends his right arm forwards as he clenches onto the door handle - pulling the handle down as he would then pull the door towards him, opening the door.
The door would now be wide open. (( Dirk VanReeth ))

Being English is a great help, because perhaps you can use longer words which make the roleplay look much more interesting.
Dirk VanReeth extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches onto the door handle - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.
The door would now be wide open. (( Dirk VanReeth ))

A 'play on words' enlarges roleplay, such as stating the obvious, or adding words in which makes the sentence span longer.
Dirk VanReeth rapidly extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches tightly onto the handle of the door - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.
The door would now be wide open and ready to walk in. (( Dirk VanReeth ))

Add on some actions!
Dirk VanReeth glances around, looking at the surroundings - coughs once as he then rapidly extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches tightly onto the handle of the door - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.

Each and every different scenario offers you a whole variety of different roleplay actions to do, take the opportunity and together the server roleplay expectations will increase! Hope this helps some people out who are still learning how to roleplay.

Perhaps you are like Justin Fakie, then you may believe it is better for short, descriptive RP. Lines of purple can be limitless - write as much as you want!

Justin Fakie
2nd November 2013, 07:27 PM
Advanced roleplay skill is being more creative, acting out a stronger character in terms of traits and things like that, etc. As for the actual RP lines, it's about being as descriptive as you can to evoke the best visual of what your character is doing, or what is going on in general (/do), to everyone else. Length, multiple actions squeezed in, and little useless words ain't shit. What I notice from long RP lines is just confusing grammar and a RP line that has me confused as to what visual the player is trying to evoke in my mind. It's horrendous to look at. I like the general message you were giving, and excuse me for being such a critic, but it's annoying to read three lines of shit written in broken English. Goodbye.

Maxi
2nd November 2013, 07:27 PM
Not bad, but remember. A good role player isn't someone with long /me's or /do's.Its about beginning creative and simple enough to make sense.

Dirk
2nd November 2013, 07:32 PM
Advanced roleplay skill is being more creative, acting out a stronger character in terms of traits and things like that, etc. As for the actual RP lines, it's about being as descriptive as you can to evoke the best visual of what your character is doing, or what is going on in general (/do), to everyone else. Length, multiple actions squeezed in, and little useless words ain't shit. What I notice from long RP lines is just confusing grammar and a RP line that has me confused as to what visual the player is trying to evoke in my mind. It's horrendous to look at. I like the general message you were giving, and excuse me for being such a critic, but it's annoying to read three lines of shit written in broken English. Goodbye.

It's called going into detail, I know that SA-RP has hypnotized you to only see one line of purple text per RP action but actually, a few lines is much better.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dirk
2nd November 2013, 07:33 PM
Not bad, but remember. A good role player isn't someone with long /me's or /do's.Its about beginning creative and simple enough to make sense.

Being simple is light-med RP which is why the server has such low expectations.

filthyfatfunk
2nd November 2013, 07:34 PM
Writing long RP lines is NOT what defines a good roleplayer in my opinion.

Dirk
2nd November 2013, 07:36 PM
Writing long RP lines is NOT what defines a good roleplayer in my opinion.

It doesn't define a good roleplayer, you're right - but I am saying it extends and improves lower levels of roleplay.
To make a good roleplayer i'd have to publish a book.

Cane Black
2nd November 2013, 07:56 PM
Just so you know who's all in the same boat;
A good Roleplayer is someone who is, not only descriptive and easy to understand, but also creative. The more creativity you have in your roleplay, the better. Maybe, instead of always roleplaying the same actions, maybe approach the situation with different perspectives. Maybe roleplay that the bank has a revolving door? Maybe roleplay that a gas station attendant fucked up on cleaning your window... Be creative. The description is how you roleplay, but unless you're CREATIVE, roleplaying will be boring and repetitive.

Kyle Beats
3rd November 2013, 12:20 AM
Just so you know who's all in the same boat;
A good Roleplayer is someone who is, not only descriptive and easy to understand, but also creative. The more creativity you have in your roleplay, the better. Maybe, instead of always roleplaying the same actions, maybe approach the situation with different perspectives. Maybe roleplay that the bank has a revolving door? Maybe roleplay that a gas station attendant fucked up on cleaning your window... Be creative. The description is how you roleplay, but unless you're CREATIVE, roleplaying will be boring and repetitive.

Also; being able to stick with your character and how they would act. I hate seeing people casually not react to seeing someone being killed. If you're able to stick to a quality character, it helps the RP. Also, DO NOT be a gangster and join the LSPD or any faction(besides hitman) and vice-versa. It's so fucking non-rp the rich cry.

DebraWashington
3rd November 2013, 03:48 AM
I honestly don't think overly informative RP is essentially good RP, yes it gives you a pretty clear image of what that player is trying to ROLEPLAY his character doing, but if it takes you 5 minutes to write endless lines of how you walked from point A to point B. Informing everyone of your every facial expression and upper-body movement, glaring, glancing, adjusting my some suit, placing the tie in correction looking downwards, upwards.

Leave soooomething to imagination, being informative isn't bad at all but great but learn the difference of being overly informative and informative please. Lines of text doesn't make a sentence better.

^Having lines of text in your sentence in order to make seem better with more fancy words and academicly and grammatically well put words doesn't really share needed information, but instead conceals the needed information with pointless text, thus the writer thought he/she was BETTER for writing a longer sentence of something that could be essentially short.^ Is the same thing as the above paragraph.

A few more fancy words isn't gonna make it 10 times as interesting. It just shows your english is more academic or well written. The RP isn't in the language.

Good RP to me is how you can combine roleplay and game mechanics to achieve something fun/somewhat cool.

If you're really gonna devote 5 minutes into walking 10 yards ingame just because everyone needs to know every single petty thing you do then you're honestly just wasting time.

Dirk VanReeth glances around, looking at the surroundings - coughs once as he then rapidly extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches tightly onto the handle of the door - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.

Yeah. Ok I doubt the majority of the players on SARP are even gonna bother with reading that.

Justin Fakie
3rd November 2013, 04:34 AM
**-Debra's post-**

I know you're probably a shemale and all, but marry me?

EDIT:

Unless you are like Justin Fakie, then some believe it is better for short, descriptive RP. Lines of purple can be limitless - write as much as you want!

I appreciate being a highlight of your thread. Hell, I'm flattered! However, mind telling me what in the name of shattered language are you saying?

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 05:41 AM
I know you're probably a shemale and all, but marry me?

EDIT: [/COLOR][/CENTER][/FONT][/SIZE]

I appreciate being a highlight of your thread. Hell, I'm flattered! However, mind telling me what in the name of shattered language are you saying?

I was playing fifa mid-match, sry

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 08:04 AM
I honestly don't think overly informative RP is essentially good RP, yes it gives you a pretty clear image of what that player is trying to ROLEPLAY his character doing, but if it takes you 5 minutes to write endless lines of how you walked from point A to point B. Informing everyone of your every facial expression and upper-body movement, glaring, glancing, adjusting my some suit, placing the tie in correction looking downwards, upwards.

Leave soooomething to imagination, being informative isn't bad at all but great but learn the difference of being overly informative and informative please. Lines of text doesn't make a sentence better.

^Having lines of text in your sentence in order to make seem better with more fancy words and academicly and grammatically well put words doesn't really share needed information, but instead conceals the needed information with pointless text, thus the writer thought he/she was BETTER for writing a longer sentence of something that could be essentially short.^ Is the same thing as the above paragraph.

A few more fancy words isn't gonna make it 10 times as interesting. It just shows your english is more academic or well written. The RP isn't in the language.

Good RP to me is how you can combine roleplay and game mechanics to achieve something fun/somewhat cool.

If you're really gonna devote 5 minutes into walking 10 yards ingame just because everyone needs to know every single petty thing you do then you're honestly just wasting time.

Yeah. Ok I doubt the majority of the players on SARP are even gonna bother with reading that.

Well then that's why the roleplay expectations are shit.

SuckySucky
3rd November 2013, 09:04 AM
This isn't improving RP. This is spamming the chat with useless shit that no ones cares about. Heavy RP isn't spamming the chat. IT's being creative and never breaking character. Eg, an old man who walks slow everywhere.

No one gives a shit if you write 10 liens for moving your hand. It's useless and spams the chat.

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 09:14 AM
This isn't improving RP. This is spamming the chat with useless shit that no ones cares about. Heavy RP isn't spamming the chat. IT's being creative and never breaking character. Eg, an old man who walks slow everywhere.

No one gives a shit if you write 10 liens for moving your hand. It's useless and spams the chat.

Good roleplay isn't classed as spam, newfag

Nathan
3rd November 2013, 09:16 AM

How is this spam get your eyes checked before you post on something.

Ryan Crowley
3rd November 2013, 09:19 AM
The best roleplayer I ever met rarely used /me and /do

I like the effort but you're wrong.

EDIT:
Your shitting down on 'suckysucky' but he's actually right. Who gives a shit whether your extending your arm to open a door. It is just spamming the chat with useless shit. Roleplaying is about being a character and having /me and /do help you be that character. /me and /do isn't roleplaying, being your character IS.

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 09:21 AM
The best roleplayer I ever met rarely used /me and /do

I like the effort but you're wrong.

Who, Tay Mudafuckin Tilla?

Ryan Crowley
3rd November 2013, 09:23 AM
Who, Tay Mudafuckin Tilla?
you can read the edit for a better explanation and no, not Tay Tilla - he was just being himself. Straight gangster.

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 09:25 AM
you can read the edit for a better explanation and no, not Tay Tilla - he was just being himself. Straight gangster.

Tay Tilla doesn't require commands such as /me and /do, but since you are a member of SA-RP of course you wouldn't need to see a lot of detail.

Riversparks
3rd November 2013, 09:25 AM
I think you do not have to write long lines of roleplay to be a good Roleplayer. I think your roleplay needs to be creative and show initiative., But other than that, Thank you for writing this guide.

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 09:32 AM
I think you do not have to write long lines of roleplay to be a good Roleplayer. I think your roleplay needs to be creative and show initiative., But other than that, Thank you for writing this guide.

Thank you for saying something nice.

Marcy Shiels
3rd November 2013, 10:02 AM
Lol at the attempt of getting unbanned

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 10:15 AM
Lol at the attempt of getting unbanned

Lol at the fact I am not trying to get unbanned because you thought it would be funny to report me for having a laugh

Vitto Rizzi
3rd November 2013, 11:22 AM
tip:

Don't do extra extra long sentences if your wpm (words per minute) is not 100+, can't stress enough how boring it is to wait after someone in a RP situation because he's a slow typer.
oh and sometimes /me extends his arm (you get my drift) isn't needed
just my two cents, i don't praise myself as the master of roleplay because im not

Kim
3rd November 2013, 12:09 PM
so am I supposed to be writing run on sentences when I use /me?

Rick
3rd November 2013, 12:18 PM
This isn't going to get you un-banned so stop trying plz.

Dirk
3rd November 2013, 01:00 PM
This isn't going to get you un-banned so stop trying plz.

I'm not trying, but how about you get the fuck out of my business

Rick
3rd November 2013, 03:09 PM
I'm not trying, but how about you get the fuck out of my business
I just assumed that you were, I mean after..I lost count on how many ban appeals you've posted that you'd quit just like you said. But you're still here.

Hopsin
3rd November 2013, 03:10 PM

way over done..

Jayson
3rd November 2013, 04:12 PM
I feel it's way overdone, but it helps the newbies, so s'all good.. Nice thread.

SupahLemuel
3rd November 2013, 04:13 PM
Using many lines don't count as improving RP. This is improving RP:

Just being creative and that's all. Creativity is the BEST way to improve RP. Its better to RP a lot to improve. using commas and minus signs/hyphens (-) extends RP. Just like some players replying over on this thread are saying it like. I agree with what they say.

But the point of what your saying, which you use a lot of grammar in what I mean (Adjective, Adverbs Verbs) Makes it a good way to improve RP. Just don't count the many lines thingy in RP. It spams kinda.

P.S - It helps for newbies to improve RP with this thread.

-Lemuel Williams(Ingame Character)

Vakeray
3rd November 2013, 04:23 PM
this won't help jack shit
what sarp should do to keep their rp real is to stay in character more than 25% of their time(i can see everybody crying "i stay ic 24/7 maybe you can face the truth and suck your own dick blablalbalba) but yeah this won't really help in 75% of this server's case

Hassan Ashas
6th November 2013, 02:06 PM

^^^^^

I would say that the best RPer is the man who RP everything like every step

but That's A nice guide, Thanks :)

Emily Grey
6th November 2013, 02:08 PM
I'd much prefer simplicity and professionalism in the roleplay.

You don't need to take up a fifth of my screen when you're roleplaying opening a door.

Kristian
6th November 2013, 02:12 PM
I'd rather appreciate someone writing a simple /me that is understandable then a long ass detailed /me that you can't even understand 1/10 of, so I am not needing to "/b can you re-phrase that" all the time.

But nice guide, but this doesn't "improve" the quality of a roleplaying session, only making it more detailed and longer.