PDA

View Full Version : How to ACTUALLY Heavy Role-play (Burke's Rant)

Kyle
15th November 2013, 05:55 PM
Want to get noticed by the Hitman Agency? Want to be known as a great roleplayer? Continue reading.

Before you read this guide though, read these following /me's.
_____ motions his dominant hand towards his right-side pocket once more, before grasping a small dark zippo.
_____ clutches the side of a cigarette, before elevating it towards his mouth region, inserting a quarter of it within.
_____ swipes his thumb downwards on the mechanism, igniting the lighter before titling it underneath his cigarette.
_____ engraves his heels into the ground, before wheeling himself around; attaining a walking motion.
_____ would sup on the cigarette every ten seconds or so, whilst peeking down on the group below.

You might be thinking, wow, that player has exceptional role-play skills. You probably role-play similarly and consider yourself a heavy RPer.

But you're wrong. Continue reading to find out why I think so. (P.S: All of these /me's are taken from my chat logs from earlier today, if the player who did them sees this, no offense intended, I'm just tired of seeing people RP that way)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Hi, welcome to my first guide. Please keep what you just read above in your mind while reading this. I'm going to make this as short as possible, but I feel this guide is needed. There is not going to much organization in this thread, but if you read through it, hopefully it will help.

I have always been a proponent of heavy RP which is the main reason I am making this guide. This guide is for those who are looking to improve their RP skills or for those who are misunderstanding what heavy RP is.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

You do NOT need to role play walking. The point of /me and /do is so that your character can do things that the game does not allow. You do not need to roleplay things such as opening your car door, turning your car on, opening or closing doors, sitting down, etc.

We do not need to see a /me for any of that, just do it. Press W and walk. Press F, get in your car. Type /engine, turn your car on. You do not need to roleplay any of that, the script is there for a reason. Those commands were made so that you don't need to /me it anymore, when you type /engine, it does it for you.

With that said, what is heavy RP?
Probably the most common definition of heavy RP that you'll find on SARP is "being as descriptive as possible in your role-play and acting as realistic as possible."

Long sentences with big words are NOT necessarily heavy RP. You may think you are heavy RP'ing because you made a /me long enough to continue on in /do, but you're probably not. Role-playing is much like writing a story, if you ramble on and say irrelevant things, your readers will get bored!

If you want to be a heavy role-player, you need to be as effective as possible in the least amount of words. You need to be efficient with your roleplay.

- "/me kicks his feet into motion, approaching ____ as he reaches his right hand behind his back, retrieving his black leather wallet.." can be shortened to "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." Just walk towards the person and do that. We can see that you are walking, we can't however see that you are taking out your wallet, so you need to /me it.

-"/me reaches his left hand forward, grasping the door handle before he opens the door, stepping out of the car before straightening his back." can be removed completely. Just get out of the car, that's it.

- "/me turns his head, glancing at _____ while he nods twice speaking softly." is fine, but it's not really necessary in a lot of cases. Unless it is important in expressing what you are trying to role-play, you really do not need it.

Using big words does NOT make you a better role-player.

Remember those /me's from the beginning of this guide? Here they are again

_____ motions his dominant hand towards his right-side pocket once more, before grasping a small dark zippo.
_____ clutches the side of a cigarette, before elevating it towards his mouth region, inserting a quarter of it within.
_____ swipes his thumb downwards on the mechanism, igniting the lighter before titling it underneath his cigarette.
_____ engraves his heels into the ground, before wheeling himself around; attaining a walking motion.
_____ would sup on the cigarette every ten seconds or so, whilst peeking down on the group below.

Now, all of those /me's probably looked great to you, but reading the role-play is boring. There are too many unnecessary words.

This is how I would role-play each of those actions:
"/me retrieves a small zippo lighter from his pocket with his ___ hand"
"/me grabs a cigarette, raising it and pinching it between his lips"
"/me sparks the lighter with his thumb, lifting it under the end of the cigarette."
The fourth one is just retarded, I wouldn't say it or anything like it.
The fifth is fine.

If you want to improve your role-play, try and simplify it. Use words you understand and don't try and impress anyone with the fact that you know more words than they do.

Lastly, logically think about what I just told you. I just told you that you won't get recognized as a good role-player if you make long sentences with big words, and logically, it makes sense. EVERYONE on SARP who claims to be a heavy RPer does that. It is a common misconception and if you do it, you'll blend in with the rest of them. If you want to stand out, be short and effective.

Rant over,
Burke

Kyle Beats
15th November 2013, 05:59 PM
- "/me kicks his feet into motion, approaching ____ as he reaches his right hand behind his back, retrieving his black leather wallet.." can be shortened to "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." Just walk towards the person and do that. We can see that you are walking, we can't however see that you are taking out your wallet, so you need to /me it.
I like that one.

Vitto Rizzi
15th November 2013, 06:02 PM
Yes! No /me extends his dominant hand before he slowly slides his index finger on the lever of the door followed by his full hand clutching on the lever of the door as he swiftly applies pressure onto it thus making it go down before he forcefully pushes the door outwards from his direction and takes a step outside before he slowly turns back and kicks the door with his dominant leg thus making the door shut and applies pressure onto it so it should fully lock!

Who the hell cares to read all that shit, cba to wait 10 min after a dude who can't write fast and does that sheeit.

Kriz
15th November 2013, 06:07 PM
(e.g., you don't transform from a mob boss to an LSPD cadet).

whos talking lol.

ot good guide but i still cant rp

Kyle
15th November 2013, 06:09 PM
Good idea for a guide, I'm sick of seeing the spammed repetitive roleplay, which tends not to make a lot of sense at all.

Here's some ideas you could add;

Overall creativity.
Using scenery around you.
Having a consistent character - following his/her own attributes and ambitions(e.g., you don't transform from a mob boss to an LSPD cadet).
Dialogue - Your character uses constant phrases and reasonably understandable slang.
Detail in /me's and /do's can contribute towards the picture of the scenery, but people think spamming out excessively long lines is good roleplay, it's not.

I'll probably be making more, I made this one out of frustration, got tired of seeing people who make long sentences be considered heavy RPers. It's almost like people think whoever can make a longer sentence is a better RPer.

Jules Winnfield
15th November 2013, 06:10 PM
lol how I always roleplayed, I would see people typing all this long shit completely pointless just wasting time

Kyle
15th November 2013, 06:13 PM
lol how I always roleplayed, I would see people typing all this long shit completely pointless just wasting time And you made it into the agency :). Proof it works.

Elijah van Meijer
15th November 2013, 06:24 PM
Good guide Kyle, one of the only guides that's needed and doesn't point out something that's completely fucking obvious. I consider heavy roleplay as maintaining a character with it's own unique personality and characteristics, not someone who loves animals then the next day goes around murdering people, someone who's afraid of weapons but ends up carrying a full weapon set around all day.

Anyway, does anyone remember when we use to make fun of people who got their friends to contract them to get noticed by hitmen? We go to kill them and they're just standing there doing "/me simultaneously motions both his eyes as he sufficiently begins to raise his right heel while expanding his chest every few seconds, breathing, vigorously taking a step forward gently nodding once as he quickly turns his head ferociously, cracking a raging smile towards Johnathan".

LOL, that shit doesn't even make fucking sense.

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE CONSIDERED A GOOD ROLEPLAYER:
DO NOT USE FUCKING WORDS THAT YOU DO NOT EVEN UNDERSTAND YOURSELF.

Riversparks
15th November 2013, 06:25 PM
Great guide.

thatfeelingwhenyouknowwho'sthebadexample

That feeling when I find out I was the bad example, Kyle you can place my name in it if you like. I won't mind.

Kyle
15th November 2013, 06:28 PM
That feeling when I find out I was the bad example, Kyle you can place my name in it if you like. I won't mind.Again, no offense meant, I think you're a good role player, you're just at the point where you need to simplify your sentences.

Riversparks
15th November 2013, 06:37 PM
Again, no offense meant, I think you're a good role player, you're just at the point where you need to simplify your sentences.

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration.

Rob
15th November 2013, 06:37 PM
This is RP at its finest

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a634/ArchMageRob/Watts1_zpsd7b46ae2.png

Nightmaid
15th November 2013, 06:38 PM
With my roleplay, I try to be as informative as I can. I rather read a long sentence than "/me speeds", which is an useless bit of roleplaying anyway. And, I would prefer not to use something such as "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." as you suggested since it doesn't tell where you took the wallet from. The ground, jacket, some pocket or something similar.

In a roleplay scenario, I just see people either asspulling, using some stupid binds or then writing "/me takes gun" which wouldn't be really improved at all by "/me takes gun with right hand" since you don't know if you can roleplay drawing your gun before that person due to not knowing where they take it from.

So, in my opinion, you should write everything that you feel that the other person could be wondering about that they can use in their roleplay. When doing something that other one can't see IC'ly yet, I wouldn't directly say what it is, but wait until taking it out. That gives them the ability to roleplay fearing that it's something else, like while you'd be going for a cigarette, they could think you're going for a gun.

Parker
15th November 2013, 06:40 PM
This is one of the best guides that I've seen. Also, some good tips in here.

As for this, PHYSICS!

This is RP at its finest

Kristian
15th November 2013, 06:51 PM
This is one of the best guides that I've seen. Also, some good tips in here.

As for this, PHYSICS!

Why not roleplay everything?
/me breathes
/Do in
/do and out
/me blinks once automatically
/do eyes closed
/do open
/do starts to breathe
/do in
/do out
/me looks forwards
/do forwards
/do blinks
/do eyes closed
/do eyes open
/do yawns
/do yawning
/do done yawning
/do breathes
/do in and out

Nice guide, though. :)
/me feels inspired, sorta.

Kyle
15th November 2013, 06:57 PM
With my roleplay, I try to be as informative as I can. I rather read a long sentence than "/me speeds", which is an useless bit of roleplaying anyway. And, I would prefer not to use something such as "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." as you suggested since it doesn't tell where you took the wallet from. The ground, jacket, some pocket or something similar.

In a roleplay scenario, I just see people either asspulling, using some stupid binds or then writing "/me takes gun" which wouldn't be really improved at all by "/me takes gun with right hand" since you don't know if you can roleplay drawing your gun before that person due to not knowing where they take it from.

So, in my opinion, you should write everything that you feel that the other person could be wondering about that they can use in their roleplay. When doing something that other one can't see IC'ly yet, I wouldn't directly say what it is, but wait until taking it out. That gives them the ability to roleplay fearing that it's something else, like while you'd be going for a cigarette, they could think you're going for a gun.

I wrote this in like 15 minutes after I got tired of seeing long useless /me's. I am also descriptive in my /me's, but the point is, you don't need to describe everything. I'm not at all saying you should do /me speeds ( I have no idea where you got that from). I didn't say that anywhere. I am saying, some people need to simplify their role-play. That doesn't mean simplify it so much that it becomes /me takes gun out, that means get rid of the needless words that don't add to your sentence anyway.

Michael
15th November 2013, 07:03 PM
This is RP at its finest

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA What the fuck!!!

dying at /do turned

Nightmaid
15th November 2013, 07:03 PM
I wrote this in like 15 minutes after I got tired of seeing long useless /me's. I am also descriptive in my /me's, but the point is, you don't need to describe everything. I'm not at all saying you should do /me speeds ( I have no idea where you got that from). I didn't say that anywhere. I am saying, some people need to simplify their role-play. That doesn't mean simplify it so much that it becomes /me takes gun out, that means get rid of the needless words that don't add to your sentence anyway.

I was just adding that as an example of what's the other way around, too short and too long messages are both bad. I just happened to see "/me speeds" earlier so I thought I'd add that in.

Kristian
15th November 2013, 07:08 PM
Gonna write this reply out of my thoughts, so it might be plain bullshit.

Almost every time I roleplay with a hitman he/she/it uses the most advanced words (atleast from my view) and writes so long /me's and /do's that you could go to the toilet and have a little pee. I have even started to ask "what the fuck are you trying to say??" in /b, Cesar Bruetti can witness that, hmm hmm. Point is, hitmen use advanced vocabulary and long sentences which influenting us to do it the same way IF we wish to join any of the most elite factions that's handpicked ones.

Kriz
15th November 2013, 07:10 PM

Almost every time I roleplay with a hitman he/she/it uses the most advanced words (atleast from my view) and writes so long /me's and /do's that you could go to the toilet and have a little pee. I have even started to ask "what the fuck are you trying to say??" in /b, Cesar Bruetti can witness that, hmm hmm. Point is, hitmen use advanced vocabulary and long sentences which influenting us to do it the same way IF we wish to join any of the most elite factions that's handpicked ones.

what the fuck are you trying to say??

Kyle
15th November 2013, 07:17 PM

Right, that's the misconception people have, but if you ask anyone that HAS been in HA, it's true that overdoing RP will turn HA away. They won't even consider you.

Kristian
15th November 2013, 07:33 PM
what the fuck are you trying to say??

That you are a faggot. jkjk.

Right, that's the misconception people have, but if you ask anyone that HAS been in HA, it's true that overdoing RP will turn HA away. They won't even consider you.
Ah, never been HA and never seen it that way. Alright.

I'm an influence? That's awsome.

The reason we used long roleplay is because everybody on the server assumes that heavy roleplay is long lines and advanced vocabulary, so we simply just do that.. Because if we don't, people jump to the conclusion that we don't deserve our position. Difference between our RP and others is that ours isn't excessive, ours makes sense and ours is relevant.

If you look back when I RPed with you as a hitman and as I do as my own character, you'll see that all the roleplay attributes are switched around, there's more reasons as to why we did this.

Not really, I don't understand you all the times, but when I do can it be hard. Your level of roleplay is good, but hard for an idiot like me to understand. But after seeing it from different views does it open my eyes a little bit.

Jack
15th November 2013, 07:38 PM
Heavy roleplaying is maintaining your characters personality and make it dynamic as people itself change.
I started "Jack McHarley" as 20 year old guy who's brother got murdered. At first to pull it off was pretty hard but later Jack became more human and had bad points aswell as good points.

He had to deal with insanity and paranoia due to his drugs use, he also became saddistic but had a weak for females. Family was always important no matter what. I did RP like 2+ years as Jack.

I got several reccommadations and tests for the HA but my shooting skills were to poor. If you are able to create a deep character it does not matter how long the lines are.

Jack

Solim
15th November 2013, 08:10 PM
I don't come on to read an essay about how to wind down a window. Sure, if people know how to speak/write fluently, and make the sentence flow easily, then alright.. But someone typing /me taked an Window into hims Hande taked it Down in to Door and it Lower slow 1/3 2/3 3/3.

He speaks the truth, It makes me cry. I LOVE using short yet descriptive /me's, but I can't do it without someone saying "YOUR ROLEPLAY IT BREAKE D ?"

Josip
15th November 2013, 08:13 PM
Once again, it's not all about /me's and /do's, it's also about knowing to act as you character is and know you character's cons and pros while roleplaying.

What I'm saying is... if you are for example roleplaying the smart and honest cop that goes by the ''rolebook'' and respects everyone and everything.

You should NOT go and act like: ''Sup nigga!'' or ''What chu' lookin' at mother fucker'' and so on, if you get what I'm saying.

So, basiclly, staying IN CHARACTER at all times and using all your tips given above, everyone could make one good roleplayer at the end.

Good guide Peter #Respect

Aquarius
15th November 2013, 08:20 PM
Finally, thanks for this thread Kyle.

Nick
15th November 2013, 08:22 PM
lets just hope ur guide will stop people from doing novel rps that i cant understand shit from, /me shoots a glare towards blablablablablalba, i was like "nigga what the fuck are you trying to say?"

Justin Fakie
15th November 2013, 09:11 PM
You don't need to really use RP lines for things that are already shown, unless you want to differentiate. For example using an RP line to show you are picking something up rather than washing your hands when you use /washhands. Just something I figured I'd share.

DebraWashington
15th November 2013, 09:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RoI8bjb.jpg

Pirre
15th November 2013, 10:17 PM
Fuck I thought I was pro Rp'er :(((((((((((((
but hey, atleast I'm pro Radio communicater' 10-4 on that one!

Joseph Kennedy
15th November 2013, 10:57 PM
Pretty good guide, well done!

Jack_Parow
16th November 2013, 02:16 AM
Wow, this is actually a really helpful thread. Lets everyone understand the true meaning of RP etc. Some of my RP's are really long and after viewing this thread , I can see for myself that there were a few unnecessary typing involved. Thanks Kyle

Shadowgun
16th November 2013, 02:28 AM
I've been in SA-RP for quite a long time now but I could never type long ass sentences for /me's,I have always used short sentences to describe my actions and to be frank when I looked at those self proclaimed "Heavy Role players" I felt that my roleplay is inferior.But thanks to you now I'm more confident in my RP after reading this guide and feel like I've been doing it right all along.

Hyder
16th November 2013, 05:15 AM
Long sentences with big words are NOT necessarily heavy RP. You may think you are heavy RP'ing because you made a /me long enough to continue on in /do, but you're probably not. Role-playing is much like writing a story, if you ramble on and say irrelevant things, your readers will get bored!

That's what my signature says :D

Heavy Roleplay isn't about long ass /me's and /do's, or difficult words in it, its all about your ideas, am I right?

JeffreyR
16th November 2013, 05:45 AM
Great guide

JamesAzure
16th November 2013, 06:03 AM
I always thought role-play is something related to character profiling, you need to visualize a story for your character and live up to it, build a profile. You cannot be a rap-star one day and a cop at the end of the same week. That's just ridiculous.

Vitto Rizzi
16th November 2013, 06:10 AM
I'm an influence? That's awsome.

The reason we used long roleplay is because everybody on the server assumes that heavy roleplay is long lines and advanced vocabulary, so we simply just do that.. Because if we don't, people jump to the conclusion that we don't deserve our position. Difference between our RP and others is that ours isn't excessive, ours makes sense and ours is relevant.

If you look back when I RPed with you as a hitman and as I do as my own character, you'll see that all the roleplay attributes are switched around, there's more reasons as to why we did this.

True fucking that. People only think that if they do some long shit they'll be awesome and think that "WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN IN HITMAN AGENCY OH MY GOD THEY ONLY PICK FRIENDS ARGH ARGH ARGH OH MY GOD HELP HELP THIS SERVER IS SHIT IM OUT"...no.
I remember when I did a hit with an another hitman who killed the person, the person who got killed SMS'd me that the hitman's rp sucked so hard but he didn't have the balls to SMS him, so people generally "hate" the HA but still want to get in, lol. Everyone can be hard in the forums saying "oh fuck hitman agency i never accept invite they're fucking cunts can't rp omg omg" but when they get an invite, they'll obviously accept.

Coming back to hitman invitations, if you haven't been invited (and your RP is "good") there are mostly about three reasons why:
1) You're a fucking cunt, all you do is fuck around and act hard + you're a douche, who the fuck wants you
2) Rulebreaker, hitmen have seen you avoiding them and breaking various rules, or you have been prisoned/banned
3) You don't RP with hitmen, you send SMS' to them saying "I don't know why HA hasn't noticed me yet :((" and then completely avoid their RP, you may think you're clever and try to act hard to get but it's the other way around, YOU want to get invited

Aaaanyways, getting into HA isn't all about how good your RP is, various things matter. If your RP is good enough (other factors aren't bringing your shit down), you WILL get invited!

Nick
16th November 2013, 07:01 AM
since u guys r talkin bout ha, lemme drop something for u guys

HAO 2 B HITMAM
1) gud rp
2) gud ATTITUTE, ha wouldn't want ppl who cries too much about shit
3) be nice, ha wont accept cuntbags, just like vitto said
4) stick in the community for a while, fuck it took me 2 yrs before getting invited for the first time, the chance of newfags to get invited to ha is like 1/576
5) DO NOT RULEBREAK, breaking a rule will get your ass 50 steps away from ha
6) do not approach the agency, at all, let the agency approaches you
7) don't make yourself into a hitman wannabe faggot, this'll put you away and gives you a small chance of being BLACKLISTED
8) do NOT powergame in a hit contract, piss the agency off, and you're sure to get blacklisted
9) be known for a unique rp, remember, heavy rp isn't about making a drama script on /me
10) NEVER EVER asks for recommendations, that's suicide and even a 5yo newfag knows that
11) optional; get yourself into another elite faction first (eg: s9, fbi, etc) or a sick-rping family, this'll put you on their line of sight easier

and here's some notes about ha
1) "omg ha only invite frens" - sigh, look, why would the agency invite you when they're not really sure about you, or they dont even know you? they invite people who the directors are sure to rp good and all, and "frens", think about it, how did cesar bruetti and mason carter made it to ha?
2) "wow ha only puts old hitmenz back, dey r shit" - wrong
3) "ha pgs dey knife/c4 no rp" - that's most likely bcuz they knew you're a serious cunt, who fucks up rp sideways 24/7
4) this is what i get everyday: "do they ck u when u got ha" - FIND OUT YOURSELF, that's an ic shit and it should be figured out icly
5) "omg i got hitmenz! :DD" - gratz n good luck to you, now dont tell anyone about it, even your closest friend(s) and lover(s)

umm, i guess that's it, hav a niec day :DDD

Mike Whittier
16th November 2013, 07:13 AM
The moment when you realized that you're a heavy roleplayer..
" i cri everytiem "

Thanks for this guide, it's made my day.

Hiraku
16th November 2013, 07:18 AM
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool, this sum serious bullshit.

Murray
16th November 2013, 08:38 AM
/me smiles

murray: gud guide, peret.

Jay Westwood
16th November 2013, 08:57 AM
If you want to improve your role-play, try and simplify it. Use words you understand and don't try and impress anyone with the fact that you know more words than they do.

Yes! True. Anyways awesome guide, good work!

NiggasBeLike
16th November 2013, 09:19 AM
/me smiles

murray: gud guide, peret.

Peter**

Anyway, nice guide, very helpful, but in SA:RP Community, all HAs thinks that who ever makes the longest /me wins ^^

Agent Gideon
23rd November 2013, 05:33 AM
That feel when you discover who's bad example :stare:

Riversparks
23rd November 2013, 06:35 AM
That feel when you discover who's bad example :stare:

Everybody knows it's me, So just calm your shit. Lol

Batman.
23rd November 2013, 08:55 AM
awesome guide

Nik
23rd November 2013, 09:23 AM
Really nice guide Burke! keep it rolling!

Klash
23rd November 2013, 09:27 AM
Thank you for clearing shit up. I hope i don't see any long /me's continued with /do's anymore.

DOOM
23rd November 2013, 10:28 AM
Ohhhhhh kyle got on lsrp and found out about lyfe son

*tears up with fatherly tears*