Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    10 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Dirk's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like

Extending & Improving Your Roleplay

Extending your roleplay

In order to reach higher standards of roleplay, extending roleplay is the way to do it - if you extend your roleplay and go into further detail then it looks a whole lot better, for example

Dirk VanReeth opens the door
    Dirk VanReeth extends his right arm forwards as he clenches onto the door handle - pulling the handle down as he would then pull the door towards him, opening the door.

Making further use of /do also makes roleplay look ten times better, as follows;

Dirk VanReeth extends his right arm forwards as he clenches onto the door handle - pulling the handle down as he would then pull the door towards him, opening the door.
    The door would now be wide open. (( Dirk VanReeth ))

Being English is a great help, because perhaps you can use longer words which make the roleplay look much more interesting.

Dirk VanReeth extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches onto the door handle - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.
    The door would now be wide open. (( Dirk VanReeth ))

A 'play on words' enlarges roleplay, such as stating the obvious, or adding words in which makes the sentence span longer.

Dirk VanReeth rapidly extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches tightly onto the handle of the door - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.
    The door would now be wide open and ready to walk in. (( Dirk VanReeth ))

Add on some actions!

Dirk VanReeth glances around, looking at the surroundings - coughs once as he then rapidly extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches tightly onto the handle of the door - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.

Each and every different scenario offers you a whole variety of different roleplay actions to do, take the opportunity and together the server roleplay expectations will increase! Hope this helps some people out who are still learning how to roleplay.

Perhaps you are like Justin Fakie, then you may believe it is better for short, descriptive RP. Lines of purple can be limitless - write as much as you want!
    Last edited by Dirk; 3rd November 2013 at 05:41 AM.
    dirk

2. Laughed at Justin Fakie laughed at this post
    Likes Mr.Silver, Teodor, Justin, Dice liked this post
    10 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Justin Fakie's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Advanced roleplay skill is being more creative, acting out a stronger character in terms of traits and things like that, etc. As for the actual RP lines, it's about being as descriptive as you can to evoke the best visual of what your character is doing, or what is going on in general (/do), to everyone else. Length, multiple actions squeezed in, and little useless words ain't shit. What I notice from long RP lines is just confusing grammar and a RP line that has me confused as to what visual the player is trying to evoke in my mind. It's horrendous to look at. I like the general message you were giving, and excuse me for being such a critic, but it's annoying to read three lines of shit written in broken English. Goodbye.

4. Thanks Batman. thanked for this post
    Laughed at Hiro™ laughed at this post
    Likes erei, Clemenza liked this post
    Italian Figa
    Aimbot.exe

In-Game Name(s)
    Maxi Verducci
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not bad, but remember. A good role player isn't someone with long /me's or /do's.Its about beginning creative and simple enough to make sense.
    Got no time for this shit anymore

6. Thanks Joseph Kennedy, Leo, Fawks thanked for this post
    Likes Agent Gideon, Justin Fakie liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Fakie View Post
    Advanced roleplay skill is being more creative, acting out a stronger character in terms of traits and things like that, etc. As for the actual RP lines, it's about being as descriptive as you can to evoke the best visual of what your character is doing, or what is going on in general (/do), to everyone else. Length, multiple actions squeezed in, and little useless words ain't shit. What I notice from long RP lines is just confusing grammar and a RP line that has me confused as to what visual the player is trying to evoke in my mind. It's horrendous to look at. I like the general message you were giving, and excuse me for being such a critic, but it's annoying to read three lines of shit written in broken English. Goodbye.
    It's called going into detail, I know that SA-RP has hypnotized you to only see one line of purple text per RP action but actually, a few lines is much better.

Thanks for your feedback.
    dirk

In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    Not bad, but remember. A good role player isn't someone with long /me's or /do's.Its about beginning creative and simple enough to make sense.
    Being simple is light-med RP which is why the server has such low expectations.
    dirk

In-Game Name(s)
    Jesus.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Writing long RP lines is NOT what defines a good roleplayer in my opinion.
    History:
    Former LSFMD Chief under myself
    Former LSFMD Fire Marshal under myself
    Former LSPD Sergeant (R3) under Micheal Watson
    Former SANews Editor (R5) under Bethany Cole
    Former Government Chief of Staff (R2) under Theo Burberry
    Former LSPD Cadet (Alt) under Micheal Watson
    Former Ballas R2 (Alt) under (no idea)

Former Graphics Team Member under Josip

Active period from July to October 2013, my achievements were made in that time period.

10. Likes Clemenza, Leo, Fawks, Justin Fakie liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyfatfunk View Post
    Writing long RP lines is NOT what defines a good roleplayer in my opinion.
    It doesn't define a good roleplayer, you're right - but I am saying it extends and improves lower levels of roleplay.
    To make a good roleplayer i'd have to publish a book.
    dirk

12. Laughed at filthyfatfunk laughed at this post
    Likes filthyfatfunk liked this post
    Dislikes Ryan Crowley disliked this post
    Old-School Veteran 500 Posts Cane Black's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Jaxon L King
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you know who's all in the same boat;
    A good Roleplayer is someone who is, not only descriptive and easy to understand, but also creative. The more creativity you have in your roleplay, the better. Maybe, instead of always roleplaying the same actions, maybe approach the situation with different perspectives. Maybe roleplay that the bank has a revolving door? Maybe roleplay that a gas station attendant fucked up on cleaning your window... Be creative. The description is how you roleplay, but unless you're CREATIVE, roleplaying will be boring and repetitive.

14. Likes Fawks, Justin Fakie liked this post
    Retired Administrator
    In-Game Name(s)
    -
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane Black View Post
    Just so you know who's all in the same boat;
    A good Roleplayer is someone who is, not only descriptive and easy to understand, but also creative. The more creativity you have in your roleplay, the better. Maybe, instead of always roleplaying the same actions, maybe approach the situation with different perspectives. Maybe roleplay that the bank has a revolving door? Maybe roleplay that a gas station attendant fucked up on cleaning your window... Be creative. The description is how you roleplay, but unless you're CREATIVE, roleplaying will be boring and repetitive.
    Also; being able to stick with your character and how they would act. I hate seeing people casually not react to seeing someone being killed. If you're able to stick to a quality character, it helps the RP. Also, DO NOT be a gangster and join the LSPD or any faction(besides hitman) and vice-versa. It's so fucking non-rp the rich cry.

In-Game Name(s)
    Debra_Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don't think overly informative RP is essentially good RP, yes it gives you a pretty clear image of what that player is trying to ROLEPLAY his character doing, but if it takes you 5 minutes to write endless lines of how you walked from point A to point B. Informing everyone of your every facial expression and upper-body movement, glaring, glancing, adjusting my some suit, placing the tie in correction looking downwards, upwards.

Leave soooomething to imagination, being informative isn't bad at all but great but learn the difference of being overly informative and informative please. Lines of text doesn't make a sentence better.

^Having lines of text in your sentence in order to make seem better with more fancy words and academicly and grammatically well put words doesn't really share needed information, but instead conceals the needed information with pointless text, thus the writer thought he/she was BETTER for writing a longer sentence of something that could be essentially short.^ Is the same thing as the above paragraph.

A few more fancy words isn't gonna make it 10 times as interesting. It just shows your english is more academic or well written. The RP isn't in the language.

Good RP to me is how you can combine roleplay and game mechanics to achieve something fun/somewhat cool.

If you're really gonna devote 5 minutes into walking 10 yards ingame just because everyone needs to know every single petty thing you do then you're honestly just wasting time.

Dirk VanReeth glances around, looking at the surroundings - coughs once as he then rapidly extends his right arm in a forward motion as he clenches tightly onto the handle of the door - plucking the handle down as he would then attract the door towards him, opening the door widely.
    Yeah. Ok I doubt the majority of the players on SARP are even gonna bother with reading that.
    Last edited by DebraWashington; 3rd November 2013 at 03:58 AM.

17. Thanks Kristian, Justin Fakie thanked for this post
    Likes Laura liked this post
    10 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Justin Fakie's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraWashington View Post
    **-Debra's post-**
    I know you're probably a shemale and all, but marry me?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by James Furzer View Post
    Unless you are like Justin Fakie, then some believe it is better for short, descriptive RP. Lines of purple can be limitless - write as much as you want!

I appreciate being a highlight of your thread. Hell, I'm flattered! However, mind telling me what in the name of shattered language are you saying?
    Last edited by Justin Fakie; 3rd November 2013 at 04:49 AM.

19. Laughed at Leo, Yama™ laughed at this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Fakie View Post
    I know you're probably a shemale and all, but marry me?

EDIT: [/COLOR][/CENTER][/FONT][/SIZE]

I appreciate being a highlight of your thread. Hell, I'm flattered! However, mind telling me what in the name of shattered language are you saying?
    I was playing fifa mid-match, sry
    dirk

In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraWashington View Post
    I honestly don't think overly informative RP is essentially good RP, yes it gives you a pretty clear image of what that player is trying to ROLEPLAY his character doing, but if it takes you 5 minutes to write endless lines of how you walked from point A to point B. Informing everyone of your every facial expression and upper-body movement, glaring, glancing, adjusting my some suit, placing the tie in correction looking downwards, upwards.

Leave soooomething to imagination, being informative isn't bad at all but great but learn the difference of being overly informative and informative please. Lines of text doesn't make a sentence better.

^Having lines of text in your sentence in order to make seem better with more fancy words and academicly and grammatically well put words doesn't really share needed information, but instead conceals the needed information with pointless text, thus the writer thought he/she was BETTER for writing a longer sentence of something that could be essentially short.^ Is the same thing as the above paragraph.

A few more fancy words isn't gonna make it 10 times as interesting. It just shows your english is more academic or well written. The RP isn't in the language.

Good RP to me is how you can combine roleplay and game mechanics to achieve something fun/somewhat cool.

If you're really gonna devote 5 minutes into walking 10 yards ingame just because everyone needs to know every single petty thing you do then you're honestly just wasting time.

Yeah. Ok I doubt the majority of the players on SARP are even gonna bother with reading that.
    Well then that's why the roleplay expectations are shit.
    dirk

Banned
    In-Game Name(s)
    a
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't improving RP. This is spamming the chat with useless shit that no ones cares about. Heavy RP isn't spamming the chat. IT's being creative and never breaking character. Eg, an old man who walks slow everywhere.

No one gives a shit if you write 10 liens for moving your hand. It's useless and spams the chat.

23. Likes Ryan Crowley liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckySucky View Post
    This isn't improving RP. This is spamming the chat with useless shit that no ones cares about. Heavy RP isn't spamming the chat. IT's being creative and never breaking character. Eg, an old man who walks slow everywhere.

No one gives a shit if you write 10 liens for moving your hand. It's useless and spams the chat.
    Good roleplay isn't classed as spam, newfag
    dirk

25. Dislikes Ryan Crowley disliked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Nathan Porew
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckySucky View Post

How is this spam get your eyes checked before you post on something.
    Enjoyed the 5 years - on the forums now and then.

~skeggers
    Retired Administrator

In-Game Name(s)
    Ryan Crowley
    Post Thanks / Like
    The best roleplayer I ever met rarely used /me and /do

I like the effort but you're wrong.

EDIT:
    Your shitting down on 'suckysucky' but he's actually right. Who gives a shit whether your extending your arm to open a door. It is just spamming the chat with useless shit. Roleplaying is about being a character and having /me and /do help you be that character. /me and /do isn't roleplaying, being your character IS.
    Last edited by Ryan Crowley; 3rd November 2013 at 09:21 AM.

28. Laughed at Leo laughed at this post
    Likes David Cool liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crowley View Post
    The best roleplayer I ever met rarely used /me and /do

I like the effort but you're wrong.
    Who, Tay Mudafuckin Tilla?
    dirk

30. Dislikes Ryan Crowley disliked this post
    ~skeggers
    Retired Administrator

In-Game Name(s)
    Ryan Crowley
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by James Furzer View Post
    Who, Tay Mudafuckin Tilla?
    you can read the edit for a better explanation and no, not Tay Tilla - he was just being himself. Straight gangster.

In-Game Name(s)
    Dirk VanReeth
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crowley View Post
    you can read the edit for a better explanation and no, not Tay Tilla - he was just being himself. Straight gangster.
    Tay Tilla doesn't require commands such as /me and /do, but since you are a member of SA-RP of course you wouldn't need to see a lot of detail.
    dirk

33. WTF'd Ryan Crowley WTF'd this post