Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    10 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Kyle's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Kyle, Peter Burke, Dominic Cardenas, Jerome King
    Post Thanks / Like

How to ACTUALLY Heavy Role-play (Burke's Rant)

Want to get noticed by the Hitman Agency? Want to be known as a great roleplayer? Continue reading.

Before you read this guide though, read these following /me's.
    _____ motions his dominant hand towards his right-side pocket once more, before grasping a small dark zippo.
    _____ clutches the side of a cigarette, before elevating it towards his mouth region, inserting a quarter of it within.
    _____ swipes his thumb downwards on the mechanism, igniting the lighter before titling it underneath his cigarette.
    _____ engraves his heels into the ground, before wheeling himself around; attaining a walking motion.
    _____ would sup on the cigarette every ten seconds or so, whilst peeking down on the group below.

You might be thinking, wow, that player has exceptional role-play skills. You probably role-play similarly and consider yourself a heavy RPer.

But you're wrong. Continue reading to find out why I think so. (P.S: All of these /me's are taken from my chat logs from earlier today, if the player who did them sees this, no offense intended, I'm just tired of seeing people RP that way)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Hi, welcome to my first guide. Please keep what you just read above in your mind while reading this. I'm going to make this as short as possible, but I feel this guide is needed. There is not going to much organization in this thread, but if you read through it, hopefully it will help.

I have always been a proponent of heavy RP which is the main reason I am making this guide. This guide is for those who are looking to improve their RP skills or for those who are misunderstanding what heavy RP is.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

You do NOT need to role play walking. The point of /me and /do is so that your character can do things that the game does not allow. You do not need to roleplay things such as opening your car door, turning your car on, opening or closing doors, sitting down, etc.

We do not need to see a /me for any of that, just do it. Press W and walk. Press F, get in your car. Type /engine, turn your car on. You do not need to roleplay any of that, the script is there for a reason. Those commands were made so that you don't need to /me it anymore, when you type /engine, it does it for you.

With that said, what is heavy RP?

Probably the most common definition of heavy RP that you'll find on SARP is "being as descriptive as possible in your role-play and acting as realistic as possible."

Long sentences with big words are NOT necessarily heavy RP. You may think you are heavy RP'ing because you made a /me long enough to continue on in /do, but you're probably not. Role-playing is much like writing a story, if you ramble on and say irrelevant things, your readers will get bored!

If you want to be a heavy role-player, you need to be as effective as possible in the least amount of words. You need to be efficient with your roleplay.

- "/me kicks his feet into motion, approaching ____ as he reaches his right hand behind his back, retrieving his black leather wallet.." can be shortened to "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." Just walk towards the person and do that. We can see that you are walking, we can't however see that you are taking out your wallet, so you need to /me it.

-"/me reaches his left hand forward, grasping the door handle before he opens the door, stepping out of the car before straightening his back." can be removed completely. Just get out of the car, that's it.

- "/me turns his head, glancing at _____ while he nods twice speaking softly." is fine, but it's not really necessary in a lot of cases. Unless it is important in expressing what you are trying to role-play, you really do not need it.

Using big words does NOT make you a better role-player.

Remember those /me's from the beginning of this guide? Here they are again

_____ motions his dominant hand towards his right-side pocket once more, before grasping a small dark zippo.
    _____ clutches the side of a cigarette, before elevating it towards his mouth region, inserting a quarter of it within.
    _____ swipes his thumb downwards on the mechanism, igniting the lighter before titling it underneath his cigarette.
    _____ engraves his heels into the ground, before wheeling himself around; attaining a walking motion.
    _____ would sup on the cigarette every ten seconds or so, whilst peeking down on the group below.

Now, all of those /me's probably looked great to you, but reading the role-play is boring. There are too many unnecessary words.

This is how I would role-play each of those actions:
    "/me retrieves a small zippo lighter from his pocket with his ___ hand"
    "/me grabs a cigarette, raising it and pinching it between his lips"
    "/me sparks the lighter with his thumb, lifting it under the end of the cigarette."
    The fourth one is just retarded, I wouldn't say it or anything like it.
    The fifth is fine.

If you want to improve your role-play, try and simplify it. Use words you understand and don't try and impress anyone with the fact that you know more words than they do.

Lastly, logically think about what I just told you. I just told you that you won't get recognized as a good role-player if you make long sentences with big words, and logically, it makes sense. EVERYONE on SARP who claims to be a heavy RPer does that. It is a common misconception and if you do it, you'll blend in with the rest of them. If you want to stand out, be short and effective.

Rant over,
    Burke
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Community fucking hates rule breakers... but only rule breakers that aren't our friends
    Jimmy: i have this scientific idea that there's never enough blood for both the brain and the penis to work at the same time

2. Thanks AlmightyHitta, Mausi Homeland, Klash, Michelson, Leo and 6 others thanked for this post
    Laughed at Arthur Rizzi laughed at this post
    Retired Administrator
    In-Game Name(s)
    -
    Post Thanks / Like
    - "/me kicks his feet into motion, approaching ____ as he reaches his right hand behind his back, retrieving his black leather wallet.." can be shortened to "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." Just walk towards the person and do that. We can see that you are walking, we can't however see that you are taking out your wallet, so you need to /me it.
    I like that one.

In-Game Name(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! No /me extends his dominant hand before he slowly slides his index finger on the lever of the door followed by his full hand clutching on the lever of the door as he swiftly applies pressure onto it thus making it go down before he forcefully pushes the door outwards from his direction and takes a step outside before he slowly turns back and kicks the door with his dominant leg thus making the door shut and applies pressure onto it so it should fully lock!

Who the hell cares to read all that shit, cba to wait 10 min after a dude who can't write fast and does that sheeit.
    yolo

5. Thanks Teodor, Kyle thanked for this post
    Laughed at Maxi, Arthur Rizzi laughed at this post
    Likes Justin Fakie, Kriz liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    riddickbolt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty™ View Post
    (e.g., you don't transform from a mob boss to an LSPD cadet).
    whos talking lol.

ot good guide but i still cant rp

7. Laughed at Arthur Rizzi laughed at this post
    WTF'd Teodor WTF'd this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty™ View Post
    Good idea for a guide, I'm sick of seeing the spammed repetitive roleplay, which tends not to make a lot of sense at all.

Here's some ideas you could add;

Overall creativity.
    Using scenery around you.
    Having a consistent character - following his/her own attributes and ambitions(e.g., you don't transform from a mob boss to an LSPD cadet).
    Dialogue - Your character uses constant phrases and reasonably understandable slang.
    Detail in /me's and /do's can contribute towards the picture of the scenery, but people think spamming out excessively long lines is good roleplay, it's not.
    I'll probably be making more, I made this one out of frustration, got tired of seeing people who make long sentences be considered heavy RPers. It's almost like people think whoever can make a longer sentence is a better RPer.
    Community fucking hates rule breakers... but only rule breakers that aren't our friends
    Jimmy: i have this scientific idea that there's never enough blood for both the brain and the penis to work at the same time

9. Laughed at Knowles laughed at this post
    Likes Klash, , Arthur Rizzi liked this post
    6 Year Veteran 500 Posts Jules Winnfield's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Henry_Winnfield Salvatore_Romano
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol how I always roleplayed, I would see people typing all this long shit completely pointless just wasting time
    Factions: LSPD-R4, SAST-R4, SANG-R4, FBI-R5, Vice-Governor, HA

Families: Asesinos Locos-R6, M.O.B.-R6, Northside Guerreros-R6, All Star Express-R5 (Been a while can't remember the rest).

In-Game Name(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
    lol how I always roleplayed, I would see people typing all this long shit completely pointless just wasting time
    And you made it into the agency :). Proof it works.

12. Laughed at Jules Winnfield laughed at this post
    Likes Justin Fakie liked this post
    8 Year Veteran Elijah van Meijer's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Elijah van Meijer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good guide Kyle, one of the only guides that's needed and doesn't point out something that's completely fucking obvious. I consider heavy roleplay as maintaining a character with it's own unique personality and characteristics, not someone who loves animals then the next day goes around murdering people, someone who's afraid of weapons but ends up carrying a full weapon set around all day.

Anyway, does anyone remember when we use to make fun of people who got their friends to contract them to get noticed by hitmen? We go to kill them and they're just standing there doing "/me simultaneously motions both his eyes as he sufficiently begins to raise his right heel while expanding his chest every few seconds, breathing, vigorously taking a step forward gently nodding once as he quickly turns his head ferociously, cracking a raging smile towards Johnathan".

LOL, that shit doesn't even make fucking sense.

NOTE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO BE CONSIDERED A GOOD ROLEPLAYER:
    DO NOT USE FUCKING WORDS THAT YOU DO NOT EVEN UNDERSTAND YOURSELF.

14. Thanks Parker, Kyle thanked for this post
    Laughed at Vidojkovic, Mausi Homeland, Kriz, Maxi, Leo and 2 others laughed at this post
    Likes Justin Fakie, Jay Westwood, Kriz, Leo, liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Kyle Bauer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur. View Post
    Great guide.

thatfeelingwhenyouknowwho'sthebadexample
    That feeling when I find out I was the bad example, Kyle you can place my name in it if you like. I won't mind.

16. Laughed at Knowles, Arthur Rizzi laughed at this post
    Likes Kyle liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversparks View Post
    That feeling when I find out I was the bad example, Kyle you can place my name in it if you like. I won't mind.
    Again, no offense meant, I think you're a good role player, you're just at the point where you need to simplify your sentences.

18. Thanks Riversparks thanked for this post
    Likes Cane Black liked this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Kyle Bauer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Again, no offense meant, I think you're a good role player, you're just at the point where you need to simplify your sentences.
    Thanks, I'll take that into consideration.

20. Likes Kyle liked this post

CCRS Director
    Head Helper
    3 Year Veteran
    500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Rob's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Rob_Joseph
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is RP at its finest

~Joseph Henderson~
    AKA Rob Joseph

FBI ~ Head Helper

R4 Gov
    R6 FBI
    R5 LSPD
    R1 SANG
    R1 LSFMD

22. Thanks Justin Fakie thanked for this post
    Laughed at Mr.Alem, Leo, JamesAzure, Ted, Hopsin and 3 others laughed at this post
    Executive Administrator 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Nightmaid's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Missy Purrington
    Post Thanks / Like
    With my roleplay, I try to be as informative as I can. I rather read a long sentence than "/me speeds", which is an useless bit of roleplaying anyway. And, I would prefer not to use something such as "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." as you suggested since it doesn't tell where you took the wallet from. The ground, jacket, some pocket or something similar.

In a roleplay scenario, I just see people either asspulling, using some stupid binds or then writing "/me takes gun" which wouldn't be really improved at all by "/me takes gun with right hand" since you don't know if you can roleplay drawing your gun before that person due to not knowing where they take it from.

So, in my opinion, you should write everything that you feel that the other person could be wondering about that they can use in their roleplay. When doing something that other one can't see IC'ly yet, I wouldn't directly say what it is, but wait until taking it out. That gives them the ability to roleplay fearing that it's something else, like while you'd be going for a cigarette, they could think you're going for a gun.

10 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts Parker's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Parker_Burton
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of the best guides that I've seen. Also, some good tips in here.

As for this, PHYSICS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    This is RP at its finest

ex lspd r7
    ex fbi r5
    ex sang r4
    ex sasd r4
    ex na head helper
    ex beta tester
    ex teamspeak mod

25. Laughed at Kyle Beats laughed at this post
    Likes Justin Fakie liked this post
    7 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts
    In-Game Name(s)
    Alicia_Grant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    This is one of the best guides that I've seen. Also, some good tips in here.

As for this, PHYSICS!
    Why not roleplay everything?
    /me breathes
    /Do in
    /do and out
    /me blinks once automatically
    /do eyes closed
    /do open
    /do starts to breathe
    /do in
    /do out
    /me looks forwards
    /do forwards
    /do blinks
    /do eyes closed
    /do eyes open
    /do yawns
    /do yawning
    /do done yawning
    /do breathes
    /do in and out

Nice guide, though. :)
    /me feels inspired, sorta.

27. Thanks Justin Fakie thanked for this post
    Laughed at Agent Gideon, Leo laughed at this post
    In-Game Name(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    With my roleplay, I try to be as informative as I can. I rather read a long sentence than "/me speeds", which is an useless bit of roleplaying anyway. And, I would prefer not to use something such as "/me uses his right hand to retrieve his wallet." as you suggested since it doesn't tell where you took the wallet from. The ground, jacket, some pocket or something similar.

In a roleplay scenario, I just see people either asspulling, using some stupid binds or then writing "/me takes gun" which wouldn't be really improved at all by "/me takes gun with right hand" since you don't know if you can roleplay drawing your gun before that person due to not knowing where they take it from.

So, in my opinion, you should write everything that you feel that the other person could be wondering about that they can use in their roleplay. When doing something that other one can't see IC'ly yet, I wouldn't directly say what it is, but wait until taking it out. That gives them the ability to roleplay fearing that it's something else, like while you'd be going for a cigarette, they could think you're going for a gun.
    I wrote this in like 15 minutes after I got tired of seeing long useless /me's. I am also descriptive in my /me's, but the point is, you don't need to describe everything. I'm not at all saying you should do /me speeds ( I have no idea where you got that from). I didn't say that anywhere. I am saying, some people need to simplify their role-play. That doesn't mean simplify it so much that it becomes /me takes gun out, that means get rid of the needless words that don't add to your sentence anyway.

29. Thanks Justin Fakie thanked for this post
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    This is RP at its finest

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA What the fuck!!!

dying at /do turned

Executive Administrator 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts Nightmaid's Avatar
    In-Game Name(s)
    Missy Purrington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I wrote this in like 15 minutes after I got tired of seeing long useless /me's. I am also descriptive in my /me's, but the point is, you don't need to describe everything. I'm not at all saying you should do /me speeds ( I have no idea where you got that from). I didn't say that anywhere. I am saying, some people need to simplify their role-play. That doesn't mean simplify it so much that it becomes /me takes gun out, that means get rid of the needless words that don't add to your sentence anyway.
    I was just adding that as an example of what's the other way around, too short and too long messages are both bad. I just happened to see "/me speeds" earlier so I thought I'd add that in.

7 Year Veteran 500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts500 Posts
    In-Game Name(s)
    Alicia_Grant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna write this reply out of my thoughts, so it might be plain bullshit.

Almost every time I roleplay with a hitman he/she/it uses the most advanced words (atleast from my view) and writes so long /me's and /do's that you could go to the toilet and have a little pee. I have even started to ask "what the fuck are you trying to say??" in /b, Cesar Bruetti can witness that, hmm hmm. Point is, hitmen use advanced vocabulary and long sentences which influenting us to do it the same way IF we wish to join any of the most elite factions that's handpicked ones.

In-Game Name(s)
    riddickbolt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
    Gonna write this reply out of my thoughts, so it might be plain bullshit.

Almost every time I roleplay with a hitman he/she/it uses the most advanced words (atleast from my view) and writes so long /me's and /do's that you could go to the toilet and have a little pee. I have even started to ask "what the fuck are you trying to say??" in /b, Cesar Bruetti can witness that, hmm hmm. Point is, hitmen use advanced vocabulary and long sentences which influenting us to do it the same way IF we wish to join any of the most elite factions that's handpicked ones.
    what the fuck are you trying to say??

34. Laughed at Dill Pickles, Joseph Kennedy laughed at this post
    Likes Dill Pickles, Joseph Kennedy liked this post